Saturday, July 10, 2010

Guest Post: Tegan and Sara

Today's guest post comes from Colleen from Lavender Lines. Thanks for being with us, Colleen!!

***
My New Muse

As a book lover and a writer, there is nothing like discovering a song that wows me. For me it’s all about the lyrics. How they make me feel, what they make me feel. How they hit me.

“Build a wall of books/Between us in our bed.”

The first time I heard that lyric is froze. I mean, a song opening with a line about books? Never mind that the voice singing the words was perhaps one of the most wonderfully unique voices I had heard in a long time. I listened to the rest of Back In Your Head by Tegan and Sara and heaved a sigh of contentment.

That was my first introduction to the Canadian artists. And while I was blown away by their lyrics and musicality for some reason I didn’t run out and buy their CD The Con.

Flash forward a few years.

Writing ruts are not exactly a fun thing to be in. I was officially calling myself a writer, but I wasn’t actually writing anything new. None of my regular CDs were helping to get me into the writing groove and a bit of a panic was starting to set in. Cue Alligator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3YBX0OfNzA


O.M.G. The lyrics. The word play. I felt like I was floating the first time I heard it. Never has the phrase “over you” held so many different meanings. I figuratively slapped myself in the forehead and went out and picked up The Con and their latest CD Sainthood. Both CDs are constantly in play. Constantly. I never get tired of the songs and each time I listen I feel that I am discovering new things about the music and myself.

Please, please don’t ask me to pick a favorite Tegan and Sara song, because I think my head would explode. Whatever song of theirs I am currently listening to is my favorite. But I do have my favorite lines. Here are a few:

I felt you in my legs before I even met you
– Nineteen

SOS to my mother/ Take the hinges off the door – Like Oh, like H

I’m not unfaithful but I’ll stray/When I get a little scared – Back in Your Head

Everything I love/Get back from me now/Everyone I love/I need you now – Dark Come Soon

Maybe I would have been something you’d be good at
– Call It Off

Besides their music, the duo just seem like really neat people. (Yes, I used the word neat.) While the two are completely open about their sexuality (both are lesbian) they strive to achieve a balance of living their life and not having their whole music careers center around the fact that they are lesbian twins. Unfortunately the media sometimes stresses this, instead of the fact that the two are amazing musicians and writers. I think it’s a shame that their sexuality even factors into the equation for some. When I read that they were lesbians I kind of went “Huh, okay. Big deal.” But I guess it is for some and that’s just sad. And stupid.

Tegan and Sara are now my go-to writing music. Their songs help me keep centered and also to strive to be as brilliant as I can be. No matter what my frame of mind or mood, I can find a Tegan and Sara song to lift me up or calm me down.

If you are looking for inspiration, a new muse or simply amazing music by two ridiculously talented Canadian gals, do yourself a favor and take a listen to Tegan and Sara. I dare you not to like them.

5 comments:

Vasilly said...

I haven't heard of Tegan and Sara before this post, but any song that starts with books is a song for me! I'll definitely give this group a try!

Anonymous said...

Seriously, YouTube them and check them out. They're amazing IMO.

Colleen

Roof Beam Reader said...

I was so excited to see "Tegan and Sara" pop up in my blogger feed! They have been one of my favorite bands for years now and, I agree, it's very difficult to pick a favorite song from their amazing collection. I would probably say "Call it Off" and "Sweet November" rank highest for me, though. And, everyone should definitely see them live! They've got such a chill, personable vibe - really appreciating and conversing with their audiences.

Roof Beam Reader said...

Oh! I should also mention, they had a few albums released before "The Con" - the best of which, in my opinion, is the album So Jealous. It is still my favorite of their albums, overall, and one of my top albums from any artist. I know you mentioned The Con and Sainthood above, but Please pick up a copy of So Jealous if you haven't already!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I have The Con and LOVE IT. I need to find other albums by them and check those out. I didn't even know they were lesbians. It's whatever to me too. They are great. Love their lyrics.


--lauren
www.letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com